Wednesday, May 16, 2007

*insert Farthing Wood theme tune here

So rather than tell you about my second Chemicals mock I thought I’d tell you about the random thought pattern that I had this morning involving a magpie. I saw one on the way home today, and came to the conclusion on observing it that they were very pretty little birds, and eventually remember to ask how it and its mate were.

That got me to thinking, magpies were, if my memory serves, never in Farthing Wood, (although admittedly I remember the cartoon much better than the books). There were rooks; they featured in the episode where the Pheasants are killed. Mrs Pheasant meets her end when she’s returning from covering look out. Her husband was supposed to be doing it but she didn’t want to wake the lazy bird. So she got shot by the farmer who’s barn the others were hiding in. This did mean the other animals had time to do a runner though.
Pheasant himself also got shot when he went back to the farm to find Adder, who got left behind. He’s so distraught when he sees his plucked and cooked wife he doesn’t see the farmer. Which was the end of the pheasants.

Then I started thinking about the poor hedgehogs who were killed a few episodes before that. Mr Hedgehog freezes up whilst crossing a road and Mrs Hedgehog is far too nice and loyal so stays with him. *cries. And they get run over.

I realised I’m probably a lot like Mrs Hedgehog and Mrs Pheasant. Loyal to the point of stupidity and a total doormat. Ah well, the world needs doormats I suppose.

I miss Farthing Wood, I have every single issue of the magazine somewhere. It was so good! Hehe

3 comments:

Unknown said...

At least I assume you have the intelligent enough not to wander around in the middle of the road like Mr and Mrs stupid Pheasant who seem to think playing 'chicken' with a terrified learner driver is funny :-)

*hugs as always*

p.s. hedgehogs don't make very good doormats, but maybe as shoe-brushes...
:-D

Jeans Pants said...

OHHH!!! You said 'farthing" not farting!

Lord Hutton said...

That sounds horrid. Poor pheasants.
I saw a deer today, from the train, along with bunnies and pheasants and a buzzard