Sunday, April 01, 2007

I Always Take The Long Way Home

Long Way Home, Norah Jones

Brilliant weekend spent all Flufficated, (with Sam and Alistair too) for Alison's birthday, in a place where there are no hills. I prised myself out of bed later than I would have liked on Saturday, mainly because I woke up with what can only be described as a Rollercoaster Hangover. My head hurt so much it was impossible to move. It passed eventually and I made my way to Piccadilly Station, got my ticket and hopped on my train all by myself like a BIG girl. May I just say I LOVE Virgin Pendolino trains; there is no better way to travel. Richard Branson you rock!

I was happily met off my train in Euston by Alison, Sam and Alistair and we went for a long wander around London. It was nice to see it in a more casual manner, the only times I’ve been is with sixth from, and of course it’s far stricter and more touristy, mainly for our own safety. The most exciting thing for me was seeing some of my favourite artists in the National Portrait Gallery. I love Monet and van Gogh, my own style leans towards impressionistic and I find their work stunning. Seeing the Water Lillie’s and Cyprus Trees is breathtaking. Turner went up in my books too, his work looks muddy on paper, but in real life the atmosphere he was capable of creating is stunning. Don’t get me started on the 1700 artists who painted pictures of Venice that looked like they’d been taken on a camera. There are very few artists today who are that skilled, it’s incredible what they did! I was amazed, and wandered around in a quite awe.

Today the highlight was probably restraining Alison from chasing the ducks into the pond. Payback from restraining me from jelly beans at the Chat Meet. Although it was more distressing to watch the ducks being attacked and chased by some spiteful geese. *waves stick and shouts at gooses.
After a yummy lunch it was time for Ali and me to catch our trains. Sam and Alison hung around for as long as possible and I was sad they had to go, but very grateful for the company on part of the journey back. Even if I did spend most of it falling asleep…..sorry Ali! Although it was livened up by the spotting of several bunnies! All hoppy and cute.

The journey after the luffly Ali left was rather difficult. I started listening to the songs on my ipod alphabetically, which is better than shuffle because you can try and guess what songs coming up, but I soon found myself feeling very very emotional. A fair bit was probably due to being exhausted, but I’m not going to go into it now. My challenge for everyone who reads my blogg is simple, how long did it take me to get home today? Starting at Stanstead and ending at my doorstep. Alistair, Alison and Sam can't play cause they know.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I don't actually, I wasn't paying attention this morning :-) but anyway... No problem falling asleep, better at the start of the journey than falling asleep on your own and ending up somewhere completely random :-)

Luffly Ali :-)

NigelH said...

6 hours 23 minutes?

Anonymous said...

4 hours 58 minutes?
There is a theory that artists like Canelletto used a Camera Obscura for a ot of his paintings.